A Dietitian's Guide to Postpartum Weight Loss & Nutrition
After Pregnancy: Your Health and Body
Kimberly A. Tessmer, RDN, LD is an expert in nutrition, author of several books on the topic of diet and pregnancy and helped review our MommySlim Weight Management Program. We asked her the most important things to understand about nutrition, diet and weight goals after pregnancy.
In her article, Kim stresses the importance of proper nutritional intake not only after pregnancy, but before and during, all of which are vital for increased energy, good health and ultimately successful outcomes for you and your baby. Of even more importance, she notes, if you are breastfeeding.
In this guide, you'll find the most important concepts to understand and the specific steps you can take in a wide range of diet and lifestyle areas Kim considers most important. Read the full post on our blog to learn:
- Why good nutrition is extremely important whether you are nursing or simply healing your body
- How the consequences of a less healthful diet after childbirth can be affect more than just weight and energy levels
- Why increased energy is important, but often suffers in a rush to lose baby weight
- Understanding the newly updated Dietary Guidelines for Americans
- What foods a healthy eating pattern should include and not include
- What nutrients are most important?
- Why Omega-3 DHA is especially important for breastfeeding moms and finding safe sources of it
Postpartum Weight Loss
- How long does it take to lose weight gained during pregnancy?
- How postpartum weight loss should differ from normal dieting, especially for nursing mothers
- What is a healthy weekly weight loss goal for new moms?
- How many calories should new moms consume per day? How many additional calories should breastfeeding moms consumer per day?
- How the MommySlim postpartum weight management program works to help new moms follow a diet that's properly balanced in nutrition and calories to safely lose weight. Most importantly, a diet keeping you and your baby healthy and maintaining energy.
Read Kim's full article to learn this and more on the MommySlim blog.